Last updated on: 13th June 2023
Personal Information Collection
We endeavor to collect and use your personal information only with your knowledge and consent and typically when you use products and services, make customer enquiries, register for information or other services, request product information, or when you respond to communications from us. The type of personal information we require includes, amongst other things, your name and postal address, date of birth, gender, telephone and fax numbers, email address, and credit / debit card information, lifestyle and other information collected on registration or through surveys. If you choose to provide us with personal information it will be used in support of the intended purposes stated at the time at which it was collected, and subject to any preferences indicated by you.
How we collect information
Generally, we collect personal information directly from you at the time of you enlisting for our services, when you participate in our marketing campaigns, competitions or surveys, in response to our advertising or direct mail or when you have other dealings with us. We may collect that information over the telephone or internet, and when you write to us.
We may also collect personal information through third parties such as:
- Publicly available sources of information.
- Credit Information Bureau
- Via Website Usage, Social Media and marketing tools
A technology called ‘cookies’ may be used to collect aggregate information on the individual pages accessed by users, average time spent on specific pages, identify a user on his/her return etc.
Profile Picture Feature: Our application offers users the ability to modify their profile pictures. When utilizing this feature, users have the option to upload an image, select one from their device’s gallery, or capture a photo using the device’s camera. The chosen profile picture will be linked to the user’s account and displayed within the application. Safeguarding our users’ privacy and personal information is of utmost importance to us.
How we will use your information
Generally, we collect update and use personal information about you to carry out administer and also to improve our services to you including:
- To process your application for our services or facilities (including to check your identity and obtain reports and assess your credit worthiness) and to establish and manage your account or facility and carry out transactions you wish to make.
- For our research and development of new products and services
- For training, quality control and verification purposes (including monitoring and recording your telephone & email communication with us from time to time)
- To communicate ours or third party’s marketing offers to you – when making the offer we will let you know how you may stop receiving any further marketing offers.
Collection and Use of Images: When users decide to change their profile pictures, we may collect, process, and store the images they provide. This allows us to display the selected profile picture within the application and associate it with the user’s account. We do not share users’ profile pictures with any third parties other than in certain circumstances, where information may be disclosed as mandated by a government agency or as required by law.
Data Security: We employ appropriate security measures to protect profile pictures against unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, it is important to note that no method of transmission over the Internet or electronic storage is entirely secure, and we cannot guarantee the absolute security of the images.
User Control and Consent: Users have full control over their profile pictures and can change them within the application’s settings. We do not utilize users’ profile pictures for marketing campaigns or promotional purposes.
Permission and Access: To enable profile picture changes, our application requests permission to access files on the user’s device. This permission is necessary for users to select images from their device’s gallery or capture photos using the device’s camera. We only request this permission when users initiate the process of changing their profile picture.
How we store your information
We store personal information in a combination of secure computer storage facilities and paper based files and other records. We have taken a number of steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We use generally accepted technology and security so that we are satisfied that your information is transmitted safely to us through the internet or other electronic means. We will take reasonable steps to securely destroy or permanently de-identify information when we no longer need it.
Also we will take all required steps to ensure that personal data will not be kept longer than necessary and that we will comply with all applicable statutory and regulatory requirements pertaining to retention of personally identifiable information.
Retention Period for profile pictures: We retain users’ profile pictures for as long as they maintain an account with our application. If a user decides to delete their account, we will promptly remove their associated profile picture from our systems within a reasonable timeframe.
When we may disclose your information
Information held by us relating to customers will be kept confidential but we may provide such information to the following parties for the purposes given below.
- Where we have contracted an external organization to provide us with support services. This may include but is not limited to processing application or orders, marketing support, deliveries, market research and debt collection. These service providers may be within or outside Sri Lanka.
- To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations
- Where we suspect that unlawful activity has been or may be engaged in and the personal information is a necessary part of our investigation or reporting of the matter to necessary authorities.
- To our related companies to provide you with products and services you request and to inform you about our other products and services
- To credit reporting agencies in connection with us providing credit to you or recovering from you amounts that you owe under any contract you have with us. We impose strict requirements of security and confidentiality on all third parties as to how they handle personal information. We provide our outside contractors only with information they need to perform their services they are not permitted to use the information for any purpose except to provide the service to us.
- To meet your request for services where we use outsourced personnel
- To anyone else you authorise us to disclose information to, from time to time.
App Deletion Policy for User Accounts
This policy outlines the procedures and guidelines for users to request the deletion of their account from our payment mobile application (“Marx”). While we value user privacy, please note that due to regulatory requirements set by the Central Bank of Sri Lanka, we are unable to delete user transaction data. This App Deletion Policy governs the process for users to request the deletion of their account while understanding that transaction data will be retained in compliance with Central Bank of Sri Lanka guidelines.
User Account Deletion
Users have the option to request the deletion of their account from our App. Please follow the steps below to initiate the account deletion process:
a. Account Deletion Request: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
from the email address associated with your account, requesting the deletion of your account or call our hotline on 0115400500
b. Verification Process: For security purposes, we may require additional information to verify your identity and confirm that you are the account owner.
c. Confirmation of Account Deletion: Once your request has been verified and processed, we will send a confirmation email stating that your user account has been deleted from our App. However, please note that
transaction data will be retained in compliance with Central Bank of Sri Lanka guidelines.
Retention of Transaction Data
As mandated by Central Bank of Sri Lanka guidelines, we are required to retain user transaction data for a specified period. This retention is necessary for auditing, financial reporting, and compliance purposes.
Therefore, please be aware that even though your account is deleted, your transaction data will be retained in our systems.
Implications of Account Deletion
By requesting the deletion of your account, users should be aware of the following implications:
a. Account Inaccessibility: Deleting your account will result in the loss of access to all features and services provided by the App.
b. Transaction Data Retention: While your account is deleted, your transaction data will continue to be retained in accordance with Central Bank guidelines.
c. Compliance with Regulations: Our retention of transaction data is necessary to comply with regulatory requirements imposed by the Central Bank of Sri Lanka.
Changes to the Policy
We reserve the right to modify or update this App Deletion Policy at any time. Any material changes will be communicated to users through appropriate channels, such as notifications within the App or through our
website. Users are encouraged to review this policy periodically for any updates.
If you have any questions, concerns, or requests regarding our App Deletion Policy, please contact us using the following information:
By using our App, you signify your acceptance of this App Deletion Policy. If you do not agree with the terms outlined in this policy, please refrain from using the App.